An eco-friendly house is a house that ensures that the building’s fabric and the occupants have minimal effects on the environment. Therefore, a wide number of factors must be considered to make a house eco-friendly. Some of these factors are:
- Building materials – they should be obtained from sustainable supplies with minimum carbon print. These materials might include recycled materials as well
- Energy efficiency – the house should save as much energy as possible by having a good insulation and efficient home heating systems
- Alternative energy sources – there should be alternative sources of energy with minimal environmental pollution. If you are relying on solar energy, biogas and electricity could alternatives
- Water conservation – saving water is an important aspect of green living. Installation of efficient water devices, fixing your plumbing system among other conservation tips makes a home eco-friendly
Here are top 10 best eco-friendly house designs:
1. Green roofs and walls
Green roofs and walls are not only eco-friendly but also aesthetic deepening on the design and the type of plants used. Most luxury homes nowadays are incorporating green roofs and balconies as a way of mixing efficient, natural and aesthetic beauty.
2. LEED certification
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design is a green building certification. This program is mainly in the US where a Building council recognizes efficiency standards of a project.
3. LED lighting
LED bulbs are more energy efficient when compared to other types of bulbs. Therefore, you can reduce the carbon print in your home by changing the lighting bulbs you use. However, you may not do this yourself because you need a lighting expert to advice and install the appropriate lighting bulbs.
4. Solar panels
Using the inexhaustible source of energy (the sun) is one of the ways you can save the environment. You can store solar energy for future use depending on the house appliances you’ve installed. It is possible to draw a classic architectural style while still having solar as the main source of energy in your home.
5. AMX technology
This technology is just great because it controls your home’s heat, light, sound and irrigation. For homeowners who have several homes and move a lot, this technology helps them to program such features remotely to save energy.
6. Geothermal heating and cooling
Although it’s not applicable to all houses, you can use geothermal power to heat and cool your home. Geothermal is a renewable source of energy because it cannot be exhausted. However, it is quite expensive to install depending on where your location and demand.
7. Private eco-reserves
If you love adventure, eco-reserves are the best places to live. The location of the eco-reserve can determine your style of living, amenities and how you will adapt to the area. However, an eco-reserve is a perfect balance of an environmentally conscious lifestyle.
8. Use of sustainable and locally available materials
Most architects nowadays are preferring using local material when building homes and other building. This is important because locally available materials are used thus reducing carbon dioxide emission while transporting materials.
9. Vegetable gardens and orchards
There are huge benefits of having a garden in your home. You will not only get agricultural produce or money from the garden but also improve where you live. Gardening promotes the growth cycle and decomposition promotes soil fertility. This is one of the ways you can make your home eco-friendly.
10. Choose durable materials
If you would like your home to be eco-friendly, you don’t have to renovate it every now and then. Instead, you need to use durable materials e.g. cedar-planks for your house to last longer. By doing this, you will not disrupt nature making it habitable to plants, animals and man.